What follows is a short, I’m certain incomplete, wishlist for what I want to happen in TV over the course of the year. As I’ve mentioned before (here and here), the formats and timelines of when TV shows come out have been changing drastically in recent years, so I am happy to do a wishlist at the beginning of the calendar year instead of at the beginning of the television season. Especially since some shows are only just now starting their seasons, this seems fitting.
This year I wish for…
- a good ending to some favorite shows that are at the end of their life.
- good writing. Good writing is hard to characterize I’d say something is good when it is unexpected, but works well for the story.
- strong female characters. This is always a wish for me, my favorite Disney princesses were Mulan and Pocahontas. I want more female characters to actually be the lead character to get a ‘call’, reject it at first, but give in later. There’s a name for that pattern that I can’t remember right now, but it’s a thing. And I want more of it.
- a fantastic 50th for Doctor Who with a host of guest stars from all different times in the show’s lifespan.
- the demand for bad reality TV to go down. They will keep making it until the demand goes down, so people need to stop watching stuff they don’t actually want to see on TV.
- more recognition for web TV. I’ll refer you here to my list of recommendations and if anyone has any recs for me, please drop me a line in the comments as I’m always looking for new good stuff.
- musical episodes. Of everything. Because musical.
I think that’s going to be all for today. I want to it at generalizations, though I do have wishes for individual shows I keep up with too. I want to share them here too, but… I don’t want to get too crazy, and I don’t want to get into the TL;DR category, so I’ll leave it at this for now.
Do you have any wishes for your favorite shows or characters this year? I’d love to hear them.